The best fluffy dhoklas with sweet and tangy flavor in every bite will take your mind in the city of Gujarat. I will share with you how to make your dhokla with the same tangy sweet flavour and spongy texture within minutes. Just follow the recipe same as given to get the desired results.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 20 dhoklas)
• 1-1⁄4 cups of chickpea flour
• 1 tablespoon ginger chili paste
• 2 teaspoons of salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1⁄4 cup semolina (suji)
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 teaspoons baking powder/ 1⁄2 tablespoon eno
• 1-1⁄2 tablespoons of sugar
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice/ 1 teaspoon citric acid
• 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 1⁄4 cup of grated coconut (optional)
• Julienne slice bell peppers
• 1⁄4 cup of chopped cilantro
• 3-4 curry leaves
• 1 slit chili
• 1 tablespoon of sugar for tempering
• 2 tablespoons of oil for tempering of spices
- Mix the flours, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, 1 tbsp oil, ginger chili paste together
and gradually add water to have medium pouring consistency batter(almost 1
cup water is generally required but it may vary). Add the lemon juice or citric acid,
baking powder or eno. Whisk vigorously until the batter becomes fluffy.
- Grease or spray your steamer plate with some oil and pour the batter in it.
Depending on how deep your steamer plate is, pour the batter in it. The batter
should fill half of the plate. Put 2 inches of water in the steamer and bring it to
a boil. Connect the steamer plate to the stand and cover with a lid. Steam the
dhoklas for 15-20 minutes on medium heat or flame.
- Heat the 2 tbsps of oil, add the mustard seeds, sugar, curry leaves, some cilantro saute for few seconds. Add around a cup of water , spread it over the
dhokla and garnish with remaining cilantro and bell pepper. Cut them into square shapes
by drawing horizontal and vertical lines. Remove the individual dhoklas and serve
with green chutney.
© 2022, Krsnatarian. All rights reserved.